California State Board Licensing Lawyers

An experienced administrative law attorney specializing in California state board licensing can help you obtain, maintain, and protect your license.

California licensing boards create and enforce the regulations that apply to a variety of professions in the state.

Many workers need a professional license to work, including general contractors, nurses, doctors, and other healthcare professionals. Businesses may also need licenses, especially to sell regulated substances such as alcohol and marijuana.

You’ll need to meet certain criteria to obtain a given license.

Without those criteria, your license application may be denied – and that can keep you out of work. Hiring an experienced California state board licensing lawyer will help you obtain, maintain, and protect your license.

Let’s take a closer look.

California State Board Licensing lawyer

In some cases, the licensing boards make mistakes or misunderstand your situation.

An administrative law attorney can help you navigate the regulations and bureaucracy so you can obtain or maintain your license. If your license has been denied or there is a reason to believe that you may be denied, you should contact an experienced attorney immediately.

Licensing boards may also revoke a professional license for a variety of reasons. If you have received notice that your license has been suspended or revoked or that you are under licensing board investigation, you should contact an experienced administrative law attorney to represent you in the proceedings. Your attorney can help you defend yourself and protect your license.

Contractors State License Board

Contractors licensing in california

A general contractor plans, coordinates, and executes construction projects. In the state of California, anyone who takes on a construction contract worth more than $500 (for both labor and materials) must be licensed by the California Contractors State License Board (CSLB). The CSLB recognizes 43 different classifications of contractors for different types of work, ranging from general contractors to swimming pool contractors to well drilling contractors. You’ll need the right license for the kind of work you want to do.

In order to obtain a general contractor’s license, you must meet minimum tenure requirements, show proof of hands-on experience, and pass an examination. The examination has a required section on law and business, covering legal and operational issues related to construction work. The examinations for specialized licenses also include sections pertinent to those specialties.

If you work as a contractor, you may face complaints from customers, other contractors, regulatory bodies, and other parties. Those complaints are filed with the CSLB and may be investigated, sent to mediation, or litigated. That can result in warning letters added to your license. In serious cases, your license may be revoked or suspended. When your license is in danger, you’re entitled to due process and can hire an attorney to defend you from the accusations against you. Your license is your livelihood and an experienced administrative law attorney can help you protect that critical asset.

California Board of Registered Nursing

licensed nurses in california

Registered nurses are licensed through the California Board of Registered Nursing. There are more RNs in California than any other type of health care worker. Nurses serve patients by providing quality medical care according to practice and performance guidelines they learned during their extensive training. In order to obtain a nursing license, you must have a degree in nursing and pass a written examination. In order to keep your license, you may need to participate in continuing education classes and seminars.

Nurses work intimately with patients in every area of medicine. Unfortunately, that means nurses are often at risk for patient complaints. Complaints by patients and other healthcare providers are filed with the Board of Registered Nursing and can affect your license. In some cases, your license may even be revoked. Remember that you’re entitled to a fair process to defend yourself and your license. An experienced administrative law attorney can help you stand up for your rights and protect your right to work as a nurse.

The Medical Board of California Licensing

medical doctor licensing in california

The Medical Board of California is tasked with licensing doctors, surgeons, midwives, physician assistants, and a number of other health care professionals. Each of these licenses requires years of specialized study and hands-on internships. In the case of a doctor or surgeon, additional supervised work in a hospital or clinic is required. They must also take intensive licensing exams to prove their knowledge and skill.

Because of the trust a patient must place in a doctor, the standards for professional and ethical behavior in the medical field are much higher than in other professions. The liabilities for not following these standards are also much higher. Malpractice suits and the risk of having a license revoked are just two possible consequences of this type of accusation. In some cases, doctors and other healthcare professionals are even faced with criminal charges for alleged failures in their duties.

Your career depends on your license and you can’t afford to lose it. An attorney that specializes in administrative law can help you assert your rights, defend yourself against the accusations that threaten your license, and keep your record clean and accurate.

California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control and Liquor Licensing

liquor license in california

The California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) issues liquor licenses for any business that sells alcohol in the state of California. Any store, restaurant, or bar that wishes to sell alcohol must first receive California ABC licensing.

Most ABC licensing applications go smoothly. However, some communities fight back against new restaurants and bars entering the area and selling alcohol. Existing establishments that hope to add alcohol to their menu may also run into trouble. Businesses facing opposition to their liquor licenses need the help of an administrative law attorney to navigate the regulations and the approval process to overcome those obstacles.

Violation of ABC regulations can also cause a liquor license to be revoked temporarily or permanently. That can be a big blow to restaurants and bars that depend on the sale of alcohol. An administrative lawyer can help you defend yourself and your business against complaints and allegations that you violated regulations.

Medicinal Marijuana Sales and Licensing

marijuana sales licensing

Since the Compassionate Use Act of 1996 was passed, people in California have had access to legal marijuana for the treatment of a variety of medical conditions. Marijuana may be prescribed to treat chronic pain, migraines, epilepsy, and nausea, among other ailments. Along with this legalization of medical marijuana came the need for dispensaries and co-ops to provide the medication. These establishments must be licensed by the city or county to operate and licensing requirements vary by area.

Given the controversial nature of the drug, the laws surrounding medicinal marijuana licensing and sales are incredibly complex. While almost 20 years have passed since the Compassionate Use Act was passed, regulation and licensing of marijuana distributors is still contentious. Some local governments have severely limited the ability of dispensary operators to obtain a license.

If you’re seeking a license to distribute medical marijuana in California, an administrative law attorney can help you understand the relevant local rules and regulations and guide you through the licensing process. You may also need the help of an administrative lawyer if your license is challenged due to alleged violations of regulations.

How Can I Find the Right Lawyer?

The Attorney Referral Service of The San Fernando Valley Bar Association helps San Fernando Valley residents find the best legal representation for their individual situation. Call us today at (818) 340-4529 to be paired with an experienced administrative law attorney.

See also: SSD and SSI Attorney Referral Services